BigPictureBigSound Forum: Movies, Home Theater, HDTV and Blu-ray Disc - Powered by vBulletin
Home | About Us | Contact Us | Shop With Us | Site Map

Thread: Panasonic Netflix Streaming

Default Panasonic Netflix Streaming

Does anyone know if Panasonic will be updating its Netflix software in their current blu-ray players to add these things:
    1. Better user interface
    2. Search engine
    3. 1080P streaming
    4. 5.1 channel Dolby Digital sound

Quote Originally Posted by gpod View Post
    Does anyone know if Panasonic will be updating its Netflix software in their current blu-ray players to add these things:
    1. Better user interface
    2. Search engine
    3. 1080P streaming
    4. 5.1 channel Dolby Digital sound
    Netflix doesn't support 1080p streaming yet on any platform. The PS3 got an app yesterday (or was scheduled to, though I haven't tried to download it yet) to do 1080i streaming on select titles. It also got Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 and the new user interface. I meant to try this out yesterday to see if it works but had other things to do yesterday. I'll check it out later today.

As to whether the current Panasonic players are going to get similar upgrades, that hasn't been announced yet. Netflix said the enhancements would come to other devices but no specifics are available yet. If I hear anything from any of my manufacturer contacts, I'll post an update here.

-CB
    Chris Boylan
    Editor in Chief
    Big Picture Big Sound

the ps3 can do 1080P. now I when I use my panasonic 85 and doing the netflix. it shows up as 1080P. I dont know why that should be happening.

Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by thebat356 View Post
    the ps3 can do 1080P. now I when I use my panasonic 85 and doing the netflix. it shows up as 1080P. I dont know why that should be happening.

Jacob
    Yes, the PS3 can output 1080p, but the original Netflix announcement said that "Select titles will be available in 1080i." They later amended that to 1080p (also visible in the Sony Blog post on the topic, where 1080i is crossed out and replaced by 1080p). The problem is they're not saying *which* titles are in 1080p, and it's impossible to tell from either the meta data or the stream itself as Netflix does not make this transparent.

Both the PS3 and the Panasonic BD85 will output everything at 1080p if that's what you set your player's output to be, so 480p, 720p, and 1080p (or 1080i) content will all show up as 1080p on the output. I tested the PS3 app and did find a few titles that were available in 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus, but in order to get the surround sound, you have to enable bitstream output of Dolby and DTS in the Sony's audio settings. This means you are disabling the player's internal decoding of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD on Blu-ray (in the original generation PS3 which does not support lossless bitstreaming). So it's a little awkward, because you have to enable DTS and Dolby Digital output in order to get 5.1 from the PS3 on Netflix titles, but if you want the highest quality results from lossless Blu-rays (DTS-HD and dolby TrueHD tracks), then you have to *disable* the DTS and Dolby bitstream outputs. Kind of a pain in the ass. The player should be able to decode Dolby Digital Plus to multi-channel PCM and output this over the HDMI output, but it can't on Netflix titles.

Asfor the Panasonic current generation players getting enhancements to the Netflix app, my contact says they are looking into it but it's too early to tell what if any of the new features they'd be able to port to the older players. My guess is that the 2011 players will get the Netflix enhancements but that's just a guess. I'd hope the current players could at least get some of the features but time will tell.

-CB
    Chris Boylan
    Editor in Chief
    Big Picture Big Sound