BigPictureBigSound Forum: Movies, Home Theater, HDTV and Blu-ray Disc - Powered by vBulletin
Home | About Us | Contact Us | Shop With Us | Site Map

Thread: Thinking About Cutting The Plug On Cable TV!!

Cool Thinking About Cutting The Plug On Cable TV!!

hey,
    Here lately it has just gotten too expensive!!
    Any suggestions as to what else besides Dish, and Direct TV.
    Thanks,
    Mardigras

Quote Originally Posted by Mardigras2001 View Post
    hey,
    Here lately it has just gotten too expensive!!
    Any suggestions as to what else besides Dish, and Direct TV.
    Thanks,
    Mardigras
    Unless you're a live sports fanatic, I would recommend cutting pay TV out entirely. From Conyers you should be able to get all the Atlanta broadcast stations with just a simple roof, attic or (relatively unobstructed) indoor antenna. This will allow you to get the major networks for free, assuming you have a TV with a built-in DTV (ATSC) tuner. You can then take that money saved to get Netflix or other online streaming services for watching movies, etc. And if you're a sports fan, you can sign up on MLB.com (for example) to get web streaming access to any live baseball game. Until we got DISH in for evaluation, my household was completely OTA (over the air). Personally, I hate the idea of paying a monthly fee just to watch TV.

You can even buy a DVR which allows you to pause Live TV, or to record two live broadcasts at once with no monthly fee. The Channel Master CM-7000PAL is a like a VCR updated for the digital age. You can read our review here:

ChannelMaster CM-7000PAL review.

Good luck!

-CB
    Chris Boylan
    Editor in Chief
    Big Picture Big Sound

Over the last 18 months, I've gone from cable to Dish to cable. I have two [digital] HDTVs and three [analog] SDTVs.

Dish video quality was decent...the cable in my area is better. Audio is a wash. One for Cable.

Dish was more stable than most naysayers claim, but would cut out without fail during any thunderstorm (of which we have an average amount). Cable is rock solid in my area...don't think it's ever gone out. One for Cable.

Dish was $56/month for HD service with an ok number of channels and DVR. Cable is $90/month for HD service with a very good lineup (about 40% more HD channels and twice the SD channels) and no DVR. One for Dish...but the extra cable channels take some of the sting out.

Dish would CONSTANTLY screw with the channel lineup...moving channels around, adding channels for long enough to get you hooked, then they'd suddenly disappear. The final straw was Disney HD...my kid loves that channel, and the programming is very appropriate for little ones. Cable has never done that to me. One very large one for Cable.

Dish had nice equipment, but their receivers produced a LOT of heat, even when off...and the DVR crapped out after 10 months, causing me to lose all of my saved shows...and they made me pay for shipping to get a replacement. Little cable receivers produce MUCH less heat (translates to less energy consumption). One for Cable.

Dish has horrendous customer service. The worst I've ever experienced. It's just crazy to see their commercials touting customer satisfaction, knowing how terrible their customer service is. My cable provider isn't perfect, but is much better...and I can drive to their location if I'm not getting what I want over the phone. Another huge one for Cable.

All told, you get what you pay for. Were I to move to an area with less than desirable cable service, I might give DirecTV a try...but I will give up TV altogether before subscribing to Dish again.

Thanks for sharing the great info!!
    I will consider everything before jumping the gun on a service.
    Mardigras

When I moved into my own apartment I didn't bother getting cable. I just got DSL internet, and use Netflix, Hulu, etc. to stream TV shows on my computer to HDTV setup. There are things I miss out on, but I'm not much of a sports watcher, and I have an HD antenna that picks up NBC and ABC that I can watch news, and some primetime shows on. Definitely not missing cable at all.