BigPictureBigSound Forum: Movies, Home Theater, HDTV and Blu-ray Disc - Powered by vBulletin
Home | About Us | Contact Us | Shop With Us | Site Map

Thread: Netflix streaming freeze - BD-P3600

Default Netflix streaming freeze - BD-P3600

I just purchased a Samsung BD-P3600 BlueRay DVD player yesterday and am having a problem with Netflix streaming. The first couple of movies I watched were fine. Unfortunately it then developed a problem where after about 5 minutes, sometimes less, the movie would freeze.
    If I started the movie over, it would freeze at the exact same spot. If I advanced to another section past that "freeze point" it'd play for a few minutes and freeze again. Watching the same movie on my computer was flawless (no freezing).

I've been able to set up the PC Streaming (have to use MANUAL, as AUTO doesn't find any computers) and it works fine so far via wireless.

Any ideas as to what's going on? WIreless problem? Firmware problem? Isolated to my unit problem?

PS: Even happens after the 9-10-09 update to firmware v1.04.

Lamarr

Quote Originally Posted by lamarrk View Post
    I just purchased a Samsung BD-P3600 BlueRay DVD player yesterday and am having a problem with Netflix streaming. The first couple of movies I watched were fine. Unfortunately it then developed a problem where after about 5 minutes, sometimes less, the movie would freeze.
    If I started the movie over, it would freeze at the exact same spot. If I advanced to another section past that "freeze point" it'd play for a few minutes and freeze again. Watching the same movie on my computer was flawless (no freezing).

I've been able to set up the PC Streaming (have to use MANUAL, as AUTO doesn't find any computers) and it works fine so far via wireless.

Any ideas as to what's going on? WIreless problem? Firmware problem? Isolated to my unit problem?

Lamarr
    Have you tried Pandora? If Pandora works fine, but Netflix consistently freezes then it's not likely to be a WiFi problem, though Netflix will be higher bandwidth than Pandora. But since you're also not having issues with local file streaming this also points to this not being a WiFi problem.

Check your upload/download speeds via a service like Broadband Reports and make sure you are getting a solid and reliable download speed. If your internet connection or download speeds are much lower than they should be or are inconsistent then it may be that you are having bandwidth issues caused by a weak cable signal. These can *sometimes* be cleared up with a cable booster, particularly if you are splitting the cable signal multiple times in your house. You can read more about cable drop amps, including links to recommended models here:

Will a Cable Splitter Hurt My Modem or HDTV Signal Strength?: BigPictureBigSound

A quick test to rule out WiFi being the culprit would be to get a long ethernet cable at Home Depot or Parts Express and temporarily string it from the router to your player, reconfigure the BD-P3600 set-up to use the wired connection instead of WiFi (and unplug the USB/network dongle). If having the wired connection instead of the WiFi one solves the problem, then you may need to rethink your connection to the player.

I recently discovered that my Squeezebox Boom (802.11g WiFi) gets disconnected if I use the cordless phone in my bedroom (both are on 2.4 GHz). Annoying but I may end up having to get a new set of cordless phones that operate on a different frequency so that my WiFi devices will be happier.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

-CB
    Chris Boylan
    Editor in Chief
    Big Picture Big Sound

Quote Originally Posted by lamarrk View Post

Lamarr
    I'm experiencing the exact same issue, with HD and non HD content from Netflix. However, I am also using the Roku box in another part of the house (but just as far from my WAP) and it works flawlessly. I'll have to try Pandora or file streaming and see how that works. Is there anything else I can check?

Default Netflix Freezing

Conversations with Netflix and review of the Net will show you that ths is a common problem. Samsung said that their latest bios update addressed the problem. It did not. Worse, the update displayed at start-up was defective last week. Whether it has yet been improved - who knows?

I have ba BluRay 4600 streaming WiFi at 15Mbs that also freezes when it gets warm. I use a solution taught to me by Netflix that is generally good for about 5-hours. Put a finger on the illuminated, push power button and pull the plug. Press the power button now dark indent for about 15 seconds and release, After another 20 seconds, reinsert the plug (power supply). I'm told this clears a buffer. Contact Samsung often for advice as to when they will post a trouble-free, bios upgrade. Mindful of the indifference and ignorance of Samsung tech support, Good Luck!

IS THERE A SPELL-CHECKER HERE?

Quote Originally Posted by HossMcFarlane View Post
    I'm experiencing the exact same issue, with HD and non HD content from Netflix. However, I am also using the Roku box in another part of the house (but just as far from my WAP) and it works flawlessly. I'll have to try Pandora or file streaming and see how that works. Is there anything else I can check?
    Well according to the next poster after you, it's a known issue introduced by a firmware upgrade, so your best bet is to contact Samsung to report the problem and hopefully this will help facilitate a fix.

-CB
    Chris Boylan
    Editor in Chief
    Big Picture Big Sound

Quote Originally Posted by haroldj View Post
    Conversations with Netflix and review of the Net will show you that ths is a common problem. Samsung said that their latest bios update addressed the problem. It did not. Worse, the update displayed at start-up was defective last week. Whether it has yet been improved - who knows?

I have ba BluRay 4600 streaming WiFi at 15Mbs that also freezes when it gets warm. I use a solution taught to me by Netflix that is generally good for about 5-hours. Put a finger on the illuminated, push power button and pull the plug. Press the power button now dark indent for about 15 seconds and release, After another 20 seconds, reinsert the plug (power supply). I'm told this clears a buffer. Contact Samsung often for advice as to when they will post a trouble-free, bios upgrade. Mindful of the indifference and ignorance of Samsung tech support, Good Luck!

IS THERE A SPELL-CHECKER HERE?
    Thanks for the post. This definitely didn't occur in our sample of the BD-P3600 which we had and used for a couple of months, so if it is a Samsung problem then it's one that was introduced with a firmware upgrade. Can you post your firmware version so others who might have this problem can compare it to theirs?

Regards,

-Chris
    Chris Boylan
    Editor in Chief
    Big Picture Big Sound