BigPictureBigSound Forum: Movies, Home Theater, HDTV and Blu-ray Disc - Powered by vBulletin
Home | About Us | Contact Us | Shop With Us | Site Map
Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast

Thread: How to Get PC Streaming to Work on Samsung BD-P3600/BD-P4600

Thanks for posting and glad you were able to get up and running. Of course, the latest Samsung players use DLNA instead because Windows XP sharing was too problematic for them.

-CB
    Chris Boylan
    Editor in Chief
    Big Picture Big Sound

Hi everyone,

I've read through the thread and as a non-technical type much of it has gone over my head so I do have a few questions. I bought a bd-p4600 a few months ago and finally have got around to buying a few other pieces of kit, but here is the situation.

So I have the 4600 and have just ordered the wifi dongle for it. In addition I've also just ordered myself a 1tb Netgear Stora (which is DLNA compatible) to be our media network drive (I think you can see where this is going). I run a Mac, my partner runs Windows 7 and I would like to stream from the network drive. By the sounds of things, I'm not going to be able to achieve this as the media isn't going to be sorted on either of our laptops. Is there a work around or should I just sell my bd-p4600 and just buy a PS3 instead?

Thanks,

Jon
    Last edited by hallamboy; 03-18-2010 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hallamboy View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've read through the thread and as a non-technical type much of it has gone over my head so I do have a few questions. I bought a bd-p4600 a few months ago and finally have got around to buying a few other pieces of kit, but here is the situation.

So I have the 4600 and have just ordered the wifi dongle for it. In addition I've also just ordered myself a 1tb Netgear Stora (which is DLNA compatible) to be our media network drive (I think you can see where this is going). I run a Mac, my partner runs Windows 7 and I would like to stream from the network drive. By the sounds of things, I'm not going to be able to achieve this as the media isn't going to be sorted on either of our laptops. Is there a work around or should I just sell my bd-p4600 and just buy a PS3 instead?

Thanks,

Jon
    Well from what I understand neither Windows 7 nor Mac are officially supported on the BD-P3600 and 4600 as they use Windows XP sharing, but some people have gotten both to work, according to posts in this thread. If one of them has the NAS mapped as a network drive, and this drive is defined as shared on the PC, then theoretically it should work.

But if you want to go DLNA, then you have a lot more choices in the 2010 players: LG, Samsung and Panasonic will all have DLNA support in certain 2010 models. For LG and Samsung I believe DLNA is in the whole line (as long as you get one with a network port, or WiFi, of course). For Panasonic, I believe DLNA support will only be in the Blu-ray 3D player - the DMP-BDT350, which should be available in stores later this spring.

You can read more about the 2010 players in our Blu-ray Buyers Guide.

Anyway... good luck!

-Chris
    Chris Boylan
    Editor in Chief
    Big Picture Big Sound

It good that it will be possible in theory. I will have to wait for all the bits of kit like the dongle and network drive to arrive. I'm sure I'll be back to pick through the thread and try and make sense of it all and probably posing a few more questions to get around my lack of technical know how.

I don't really want to get rid of the bd-p4600 as I quite like it but really want it to do all the things I bought it for, like the streaming. Anyway, fingers crossed!

Thanks!

Default Got Things Working Well with Windows 7 & Windows Server 2003

Hello,
    I registered with this forum just to post this reply.

I got my 4600 to connect flawlessly with both Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit & Windows Server 2003. Although I'm keeping my Windows 7 as the saved info. Tell you why below.

First I was frustrated like many of you. I read this guide and it made some sense, but wasn't getting right where I needed.

My setup.
    Cisco Gigabit Wired 8-port Switch connected to Verizon FIOS router as my internet gateway. No real changed settings on either save wireless security of WPA2. My 4600 is wired directly to the gigabit switch. (I ran Cat 6 through my whole house)
    Latest Firmware Update on 4600. No internal firewall on the server. Just personal firewall + WPA2 set up for internet traffic.

Windows Server 2003.
    I used the Admin account. Right clicked on my D drive. Sharing and Security. Share drive. Share Name = D$
    Rights to D I set as "Everyone - Read Only". Used the Start Run CMD ipconfig to get my IP address of the server. In my case the internal Ip address was 192.168.1.2

On the 4600. I did a Manual Network path.
    Ip = 192.168.1.2
    Share Path = D$
    Username = Administrator
    Password = ************ (yes 12 characters long)

Found my D drive instantly and I fully browse it's contents. Be sure to look up movies under "Video" as it won't show MP3 files there as they are not movie files.

Got that working just peachy keen. Only real hassle is that I have movies on 1 drive D:\ while photos, and music are on another drive E:\ causing me to need to run the network setup if I wanted to switch between the 2.

Time to try Windows 7. This is my laptop in another room connected directly to the FIOS router which in turn is connected to the gigabit switch. Here's where it got fun. Windows 7 has an awesome feature called libraries. Right click on "Libraries" in Windows Explorer. Choose "New Library". I called mine "Shared". I right click on Shared and choose Share With Specific People. Opens a box. I chose "Everyone". ( I turn this off when I'm not at home). Right click on the Shared folder again and choose Properties. Here's what's so awesome. It asks you to include what folders you want to include with this library. I browse to my server and choose my Movies directly. Add another included folder of my Music, another for Pictures, etc. This works regardless of file storage systems such as an NAS or Linux file server, or whatever you want to use. Start>Run>ipconfig> write down IP address. Also I have a username and password setup for how I normally log onto my machine. 6 character username, 12 character password. My profile is set to be an administrator on the laptop.

Now back to the 4600.
    Again manual setup. IP Address + Shared name (in this case "Shared") + my log-on Username + my Password. Works beautifully with seeing only the content in my library folder I setup which includes both content on my local machine plus content on file server. Only real wish is the network pathing would stay in the list after a power off/on. All my connection info is saved so I click manual search and click through the saved info to connect, but would be every nice to just see it in the list when the player starts.

Hope this has helped someone else make full use of the player.

Edit:
    I decided to try the dongle method using the exact same connection information. Works like a charm. No real difference seen in quality or sound. My wife and I now enjoy movies and music in our living room. Plus it's great when family is over to show off picture albums.
    Last edited by Architectureguy; 04-11-2010 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Tried out the dongle

hello all,
    Completely new to this forum, but hope I will catch up fast enough for you guys!
    I have an issue concerning streaming from my PC (XP) via wireless network to my BD4600 and the standard SAMSUNG Dongle (should be same principle as for the BD-1250.
    It works great when I am relatively close distance and use only "low Q" Xvid (i.e. not HD 720p Xvid)). However when the 4600 is 2 rooms away using 720p Xvid the streaming makes very annoying stops/freezes during the movie as if the bandwith on the wireless/connection is not sufficient. I had an old 54mbps router and rather low coverage in that room. Now I bough a new router with 300mbps router with excellent coverage. If I view the signal quality with my PC in the room where I ´have issues it states excellent coverage and 54mbps signal speed, but the streaming still makes freezes as if the coverage is bad. When I look at the 720p movie size/data speed it state roughly 2500kb/s which should be much lower than the 54mbps by far.
    Any thoughts here would be greatly appreciated !!

PS My 4600 has always worked with the "automatic" connection to PC but it does not remember the connection after shutting off;-(
    Many thanks!

Architecture guy - thanks for posting. I'm sure someone searching for a solution in this environment will find your post helpful.

-CB
    Chris Boylan
    Editor in Chief
    Big Picture Big Sound

Quote Originally Posted by AJenry View Post
    hello all,
    Completely new to this forum, but hope I will catch up fast enough for you guys!
    I have an issue concerning streaming from my PC (XP) via wireless network to my BD4600 and the standard SAMSUNG Dongle (should be same principle as for the BD-1250.
    It works great when I am relatively close distance and use only "low Q" Xvid (i.e. not HD 720p Xvid)). However when the 4600 is 2 rooms away using 720p Xvid the streaming makes very annoying stops/freezes during the movie as if the bandwith on the wireless/connection is not sufficient. I had an old 54mbps router and rather low coverage in that room. Now I bough a new router with 300mbps router with excellent coverage. If I view the signal quality with my PC in the room where I ´have issues it states excellent coverage and 54mbps signal speed, but the streaming still makes freezes as if the coverage is bad. When I look at the 720p movie size/data speed it state roughly 2500kb/s which should be much lower than the 54mbps by far.
    Any thoughts here would be greatly appreciated !!

PS My 4600 has always worked with the "automatic" connection to PC but it does not remember the connection after shutting off;-(
    Many thanks!
    Well first of all, the player should definitely remember your credentials as that was fixed in a firmware update several months ago. Make sure you have the latest firmware release (you can update from within the set-up menu).

Your other question is not really specific to this thread so I'm going to copy it into a new thread and will make some suggestions there.

Regards,

-Chris
    Chris Boylan
    Editor in Chief
    Big Picture Big Sound

AJenry,

Your WiFi Streaming question is posted here:

Problems streaming HD over WiFi on Samsung BD-P4600.

-CB
    Chris Boylan
    Editor in Chief
    Big Picture Big Sound

Ok, read the thread and tried every solution My 4600 will not work with my Win7 running laptop. Piece of shit this samsung thing Any suggestions?

If I in auto mode; it finds laptop without a hassle, but I get incorrect username og password.

In manual mode: incorrect input