BigPictureBigSound Forum: Movies, Home Theater, HDTV and Blu-ray Disc - Powered by vBulletin
Home | About Us | Contact Us | Shop With Us | Site Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tweeter failed 4X this year!

Surprising but great that they were able to diagnose the issue properly. I agree that you should go with something tonally similar for the center channel speaker. You might consider an articulating speaker mount (similar to articulating flat panel TV mounts) that will allow you to bring the new center channel speaker a bit forward and down when in use, and tuck it back in front of the TV when not in use. This way it won't block the screen when using it but it will have some room to breathe.

BTW, are you 100% sure the C1 won't have the same problem? You could also consider electrostatic, ribbon or MartinLogan's "folded motion" drivers in their Motion series (similar to a Heil Air Motion Transformer). These produce a similarly open and transparent sound to the Mirage speakers. The ML Motion C speakers is 90 dB efficient and rated to handle up to 200 WPC. Sells for $499 and it about 6" x 24" X 4.4".

If you do buy the Mirage please use our link as we are a Vann's affiliate, and this is what keeps the site up and running:

And the MartinLogan Motion C:

Good luck!

-Chris
    Chris Boylan
    Editor in Chief
    Big Picture Big Sound

Default Final Solution

Finally received the replacement Center Speaker from Mirage. Got a rosewood OMD-C1 & I have photos (If I can post them) to show the placement problem & my solution. Ran MCACC a few times & this is now the relative speaker volumes:

• L = +3.5 dB
    • C = +0.5 dB
    • R = +4.0 dB
    • SR = +3.0 dB
    • SL = +2.5 dB
    • SW = -0.5 dB

Redid SPL tests with Master volume set to “0” twice more:

L=68.3, 68.2
    C=67.6, 67.6
    R=68.0, 68.5

That is as close to ideal as I think I’ll get. My speakers will not put out 75dB @ master volume set to 0. However, they are fairly well balanced & sound great to me.

Oh, the surrounds are ~ 66.0 & 66.9 but much more variability due to me holding /pointing the SPL meter so, I’ll leave them as MCACC set them.

Problems with Mirage Center speaker replacement. Original OS3-CC was smaller than OMD-C1 which replaced it.

1st is HT with old Center speaker very low profile & fits easily on top of console w/o blocking TV screen.
    Side view shows no protrusion past console.

Lower Left shelf has my old sub Woofer which died & was replaced a year later with a larger one.

Last photo also shows a new, better AVR in lower right.

Main purpose of these pix is to show how well the original center speaker fits.

Then I had the problems with blown tweeters 4X & the need to replace C sp. & the size issue with the new one will be shown next.
    HT Old CC, SubW & AVR.jpgHT old Center Sp side view.jpgOld HT new AVR old C sp & sub.jpg

To match the front Mirage soundstage (Omnipolar technology with the drivers pointed up & out) the only speaker that would do was Mirage's next step up, the OMD-C1, to replace my old OS3-CC. But it was too large to go where the old one went! If I put it on the top, center shelf, the top of the console would block the drivers' sound unlike a conventional speaker that had the drivers pointed straight out toward the front.

Next you’ll see my old 35 year old Advent as a temporary Center speaker during the month of tech support hell where I negotiated with Mirage for a solution. They finally admitted their OS3-CC could not take 140 wpc my AVR put out, despite their specs saying it was good up to 175 wpc!

Then, a pix of the new C speaker, OMD-C1, showing the drivers pointing up & out.
    New C sp. OMD-C1 no grill.jpgNew C sp. OMD-C1.jpgTemp C sp..jpg

(Cannot put these attachments in the order i want)

Next you see the new C sp in the old spot blocking the bottom of the screen!

So I was going to bolt the new C sp to the front of the console & it would be approx. in the position of 2nd pic.

I almost went with that option but didn't want to drill a hole in my nice console front so my final option is shown in the final pictures.

Next is building the shelf extension, clamping it in place with C clamps, placing the speaker where it "floats" in front & does stick out.
    New C sp blocks TV screen.jpgTest if bolt new Sp to console.jpgBuild shelf extension.jpg

Default Final pix

Then I stained the shelf extension edge for the final photos.

W/o the grill, you can see there is no obstruction to the sound from the drivers unlike if it was in that shelf with a top blocking the sound.

You see it does stick out several inches.

That's it!

It was quite an ordeal for me & quite a lot of brainstorming to come up with this solution. It sounds great & I'll live with the speaker sticking out a few inches.
    New C Speaker in place - final Front.jpgNew C Speaker in place - final close no grill.jpgNew C Speaker in place - final side view.jpg

Good stuff! I hope the new center channel outlasts the old ones! Thanks for sharing the pics and story and I hope the happy ending sticks!

-CB
    Chris Boylan
    Editor in Chief
    Big Picture Big Sound